At church on Sunday one of our leaders was teaching a combined lesson to the young women on loving your family. She also taught that we would do ANYTHING for our siblings no matter what because we love them. Now, you might be thinking 'whatever!' but our leader gave us an example she heard from Ardeth Greene Kapp that totally changed our whole perspective:
Our leader first asked for a volunteer who had younger sibling(s). A girl who had two adopted younger siblings was called up.
Leader: "During construction there are these big beams that are about 120-124 ft. long and 4 in. wide. Now, if I laid one on the ground and said 'if you walk across this beam I will give you 100 dollars.' Would you do it?"
Girl: "Sure!"
Leader: "Let's change the situation a little bit. Let's say we laid this beam across the twin towers. The twin towers are about 1,362 feet tall and it's stormy and raining and the wind is blowing. Now, if I said 'if you walk across the beam I will give you 100 dollars.' Would you do it?"
Girl: "No"
Leader: "How about 1,000 dollars?"
Girl: "No"
Leader: "How about 1,000,000 dollars?"
Girl: "No"
Leader: What if a man has your younger sister-(now starting to cry) hanging over the edge and he says 'if you walk across this beam I will give you your sister back.' Would you do it?"
Girl: (crying also)"Yes"
Everyone was crying knowing that they would do the same thing also.
oh wow... im like crying over here *sniffle*... that is amazing because (at least for me) i dont relized that i would do anything for my family and i wouldnt live to see the day that i wouldnt do anything for them :*) i iz so happy im crying!!!
ReplyDelete